This site is dedicated to building a community for Catholic bloggers in Canada, to the glory of Christ.
To participate in this community of bloggers with your own blog, please contact me at:

kerrcolin@hotmail.com

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saints who Sued

By: SCCB Staff




Halifax, Canada - As a part of her confirmation program, Bethany Hills is writing a report on 'Saints who Sued.'

Bethany, a fourteen-year-old academic-achiever at St. Thomas Aquinas Church in the city, said that the essay is supposed to be about some aspect of the lives of the saints. Because her dad is a lawyer, she decided to focus on this aspect.

"I had originally thought that there would be a lot of material. I had heard about St. Thomas More, who is the patron saint of lawyers, but you know, he died. So there wasn't anything to work with there. And then I saw the movie "A Man for All Seasons," and despite being a lawyer it seems like suing wasn't really his thing."

The young lady said that she has learned a great deal, but the research has not yielded what she thought it would.

"I can't quite understand why I can't find any saints who sued, but I am sure that I will eventually find some stuff."

Bethany indicated that when she looked in the Bible Jesus didn't have much nice to say about lawyers. The Apostle Paul likewise seemed to indicate that believers shouldn't take their problems before secular judges.

"But it's weird because I heard about this priest who sues. He must have gotten that idea from somewhere."

"I have this big chart divided up by the centuries and I planned on putting all the saints who sued people from those centuries in it, but so far all the slots are blank! It's like I have done no work at all!"

1 comment:

  1. The laity is between a rock and a hard place. If they speak they are sued, if they are silent they break canon law: "§3. According to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons."

    David Beresford editor of Catholic Insight

    ReplyDelete